maanantai 28. marraskuuta 2016

Advent

This is a blog I started several years ago to write about the traditions and beliefs people have connected to different points in a year. I write about this subject from a Finnish perspective, and my sources are in Finnish. After a few posts I had to give up with this blog for a long while. I had a strong will to continue, but lacked the resources, namely time and energy. I have wanted to try again for a long time. This day seemed like a good day for that. This time I plan to write at least occasionally an English version of my texts. It might be that this is the only message I'll write here before I realise I still can't really do this, but let's hope not.

Today is the first Advent Sunday. Advent has been widely celebrated since the fifth century. It has marked the beginning of the liturgical year since the late Middle Ages. Advent and Christmas compare to Lent and Easter: also Advent is time of fasting.

This comparison can be seen especially well in the first Advent Sunday service, which is often also called Hosanna-service. The day's Bible story is about Palm Sunday: how Jesus rode to Jerusalem on a donkey, while people shouted hosanna to him. This is to emphasise that Christmas is relevant only when it's related to Easter.

Our family tradition for Advent includes baking "Advent pulla" on the Saturday before the first Advent Sunday. This tradition comes from my father's family, as does the recipe for pulla. The dough used is the same as for regular pullas, but it is baked into a pretty wreath-type shape. Each family member gets their own giant pulla. When I was a child I never could finish mine before it went bad. This year I managed to devour it in only two days!

Today I have wondered what is the history behind this type of Advent candle decoration. You can see them on numerous windows here around Christmas. Where does this tradition come from? Does it exist elsewhere or is it a Finnish or maybe a Scandinavian thing? I didn't find anything easily from Google. If someone else has an idea where to start looking, I'd be happy for any hints.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti